Sunday 28 March 2010

Dereliction of duty?

By chance I heard there was an abandoned cemetery not much more than a mile away from my house, so I decided to take a look. I was expecting neglected, but abandoned is actually the correct word. There are literally hundreds of graves that haven't been tended for decades; broken open, overgrown, many with mature trees growing out of them. In the picture above, you can see that RailTrack have simply sliced through a gravestone to build a fence (oh by the way, this is the only graveyard in the UK that has a railway line through it). Many of the graves are military ones due to the proximity of the old Hillsborough Barracks. Apparently the cemetery is owned by the Church of England rather than the local council and the last burial was as recently as the late 1970's. I can honestly say I have never seen such a wrecked cemetery before in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment